God of War: Ragnarok - Has it gone the Spider-Man Way?


 By far, God of War: Ragnarok is one of the most anticipated games of 2022. Given the success of the previous iteration which was released in 2018, the sequel is very likely to perform as well, if not better. However, after watching the latest gameplay trailer which was part of the recent PlayStation showcase, I couldn't help but notice the gameplay mechanics were eerily similar to the 2018 God of War. The animations were mostly unchanged, the camera movement seemed the same and even some of Kratos' combos were reminiscent of the 2018 God of War.

I also got the same vibes from Spider-Man: Miles Morales, the gameplay was astonishingly similar to 2018 Marvel's Spiderman. The only real exceptions were the introduction of new electricity-based combos and also takedowns that utilized Mile's newly found electric powers. In essence, watching the Ragnarok trailer made me nervous, has the game gone the Spider-man way? I mean, Miles Morales is a significantly shorter game that was released full price. Others argued that the game should have been released as a full-fledged DLC, or at least at half the price.

In essence, I fear we could be hyping a glorified DLC with the same (slightly tweaked) gameplay mechanics, a slightly older Atreus, and a full 70 dollars price tag. I am aware, that not every game needs a thorough gameplay revamp, but given the hefty price tag of current-gen games, I should be getting my money's worth. Miles Morales was a great game but not worth the price tag. So is God of War: Ragnarok worth the hype? We'll have to wait and find out.

Comments